A new release of VitalSigns for IP™–VIP 8.2.2–is available for download from the SDS website.
This is the first G.A. version of VIP 8.2 and there are plenty of enhancements and fixes in this release. An important change is that VIP 8.2 no longer requires Java on the client side.
Existing VIP 8.1 download access keys will not work for VIP 8.2. Please contact support for a VIP 8.2 download access key.
To download VIP 8.2.2, please direct your web browser to
For an overview of what’s new in VIP 8.2, see vip82New.pdf. For complete details on all enhancements/fixes, see ReadMeVIP822.rtf. Both files are available at https://support.sdsusa.com/downloads/
Enhancement and Fix Highlights for VIP 8.2.2 include:
Starting with 8.2, VIP no longer requires Java on the client side. This means that any browser will work and you won’t have to use the Java browser plugin for VIP any longer. As part of this enhancement, there are several changes in requirements and operation.
- Xvfb (read our Using Xvfb document) is required for USS, Linux, Unix. See the VIP Environmental Checklist.
- The Java SDK/JDK is required (server side) and must be at version 8 (7 is no longer supported, and 9 is not yet supported).
- Batch reports must be accessed via the VIP server. Reports cannot be accessed in standalone mode.
- In prior versions, on the server side there was just one address space – the VIP server. We have essentially taken the applets that were running in the browser and now run them on the server. To do this we need an additional Java Virtual Machine (JVM); one per logged-on user.
- The sample server proc has upped the region from 512M to 1024M to accommodate additional Java storage requirements. Please update your server proc accordingly.
- The VIP server has been updated with the latest security fixes.
- Auto refresh allows a choice of refresh intervals.
- Collection and presentation of trace has been enhanced.
- The VIP server provides response/security headers to prevent cross scripting, clickjacking, and MIME-type sniffing attacks.
- FTP at a Glance has additional features
- The VIP batch trace allows filtering and refiltering of a character string within the data.
- VIP will monitor OSA Express 6S adapters.
Thank you for using VitalSigns for IP and we trust the improvements in 8.2.2 will serve you well,
The Entire SDS Team
SDS welcomes your questions. Please contact SDS Technical Support at https://issues.sdsusa.com or (763) 571-9000.